Friday, January 21, 2011

Prompts 1-4

1. Think of various ways in which your “view” or visual perception of the world is altered, distorted, manipulated, reframed, blurred, disrupted, obstructed, etc

One way our view is distorted that i live with is when you were colored sunglasses and then take them off and everything looks tinted. Snowboard goggles are prime for this.. Also if you stare at a light too long the image that burns in your retina lingers for a little bit. I suppose that is a way in which our visual perception is altered.

2. What objects “change” the way you “see” things in the world?

Like I said above sunglasses and lenses that cover your eyes change the way you see the world. The news, television, internet, etc change the way you see things. I suppose it is more of an understanding viewpoint instead of a direct observation.

3. What experiences change the way you “see” things in the world?

Ever since I was little I used to be so excited for when my family got a xmas tree. Not because of xmas day but because I loved to stare at the tree. So full of colors, neat little ornaments hanging off of it. But most of all I loved to blur my vision and view the boca effect. I thought I was the only one in the world that could do that. Then when I found out i could hang xmas lights all year round, my life changed again..

4. What is the relationship between the way you visually “see” the world and the way you “experience” the world?

Experiences are defined by the senses. Sight helps decode what is being experienced but also is not necessary for an experience to be understood. I'd also argue that seeing is more of a 2 dimensional phenomena while experience adds the 3 dimensional effect.

No comments: