Monday, January 31, 2011

2D or 3D composite?

Composition: For this image I combined an image of a Squash room and layered a mash of text over top of it. I wanted the flow of text to fill the emptiness of the squash court. The freedom of the squash court gave me that feeling of "fear of emptiness" but still I think it isn't fear but rather a sense of potential.

Method: I shot the squash room with a 10mm lens. Then I sketched random words and thoughts/symbols onto a blank page and scanned them in. I deleted the negative space and reversed the color of some of the type. I put the type down in various areas and blurred some to give it a sense of depth.
 
Motivations: I'm still influenced by the paper I wrote in History of Graphic design on visual poetry and decided to sketch some of my own visual types.
 
Context: I wanted to play with the idea of 'fear of emptiness' and show how a space could be filled with something overly stimulating.
 
Interpretations: This could be interpreted literally or as abstract. I am open for either.

Evaluation: For once I enjoyed making this image and liked the idea. I think it does have room to improve because it is too busy right now.
 
Extension: I will be trying more of this in the future...

No comments: