Sunday, March 27, 2011

David Hockney // Kelly Flynn

David Hockney constructs images through photocollaging. He uses polaroids and shoots a scene at different perspectives and angles and then pieces the polaroids together to create a larger final piece. He calls this process "joiners" and has his subjects move while photographing them so the final image displays abstract motion.

Kelly Flynn was born in 1980 in Dallas, TX and currently is attending Texas Woman’s University for an MFA in photography.  She received her BFA in photography from the University of Miami in Coral Gables, FL.  Themes in her work involve self-portraits representing gender equality, common stereotypes and roll play dealing with issues of feminism.


8 comments:

Erica Treais said...

These kind of remind me of Julie Mack playing the male and female role, although a very different take on masculinity.

Carly Huizenga said...

I like that Hockney's images become slightly disjointed. I think that Kelly Flynn's are too obvious.

Shea said...

Ahh I love David Hockney! I can definitely see how he used to be a painter before he became a photographer. His accuracy in making up the whole image out of smaller images is very good...I want to try this!

Rick Rokely said...

I've tried something similar to David Hockney's photographs and it didn't turn out as nearly as well. The ideas of having them move around in the frame during the shooting process is a plus not only for the challenge, but the output will have a dramatic effect.

Jeremy DeBor said...

I agree that the gender roles story may have been beaten to death at this point. That sort of work is so prevalent and increasingly muddled that I dont think its as relevant anymore. Its a deeper question now. But I think those imaging are interesting irregardless.

Sarah Hinton said...

I think the other works on kelly flynn's site are interesting because she's exploring different cultures in the south. the gender roles are nothing new and i don't think have as much an impact in our generation than maybe the generation before us.

Unknown said...

I wonder how Hockney's pieced-together projects look when they're displayed? I can see where displaying them smaller would make them look more like one, cohesive photo that's just a little "off." But a huge wall-sized display might make them look more like a bunch of large pictures of the same thing that are more than a little "off." Hmm...

Kim Berens said...

I like David Hockney because it seems like he came up with this cool way of representing time. I can see why people would copy it - I hope he finds that flattering!